Sunday, January 18, 2009

Nikon D80 Digital SLR camera

After a lot of analysis and deliberation, I finally made up my mind to invest on a digital SLR camera. I currently own a film SLR camera, the Nikon N65 which I have found to be great and on which I have learnt a lot. However, the instant feedback provided by digital cameras is proving to be too much of a convenience to keep ignoring. Add to that the costs of developing and printing film versus the freedom to click as many as you want on digital. No wonder the world is switching over to digital. I have used a few digital point and shoot cameras and for the most part they provide all that you might need for day to day photography at home but a SLR is a SLR. The photography options available on a SLR and that on most point and shoot cameras can't even be compared. Plus you get to learn how to click great shots on SLR, which we can't really appreciate on a point and shoot. I own the following equipment already and so was on the lookout for a digital SLR that I could use with all of this.

  1. Nikon 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G Autofocus Nikkor Zoom Lens
  2. Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Nikkor SLR Camera Lens
  3. Nikon SB-600 Speedlight Flash

When I bought the Nikon N65 film SLR camera, I had done a lot of research on whether to buy a Nikon or a Cannon. My analysis said Nikon and since then I have been a loyal Nikon consumer and it has never disappointed me.

So, when I decided to buy a digital SLR, it obviously had to be a Nikon but I also wanted to ensure that I can use (or reuse) the equipment that I have already invested in. After the customary due diligence I settled on the Nikon D80. The most critical reason behind settling for this camera is the ability to use all the features of my existing equipment with this camera. The D80 has the built-in focus drive motor which will auto focus with my lenses. With cameras like the D40 or D60 that don't have an built-in focus drive motor, it would mean that you can auto focus only with lenses which have their own drive motor (AF-S and AF-I lenses). I also like the impressive 2.5" 230,000 pixel LCD display on the camera and the 11-area AF system.

You can check all the features and analysis of this camera here. I think this site, www.dpreview.com, is one of the best sites dedicated to digital photography. There are lots of details available on all digital cameras and their analysis is amazing. I also referred to www.kenrockwell.com, which I think is also a good site that provides a wealth of information on photography.

I got a pretty good deal on Abe's of Maine, www.abesofmaine.com, and now await the camera to reach me. I am sure there will a lot more on photography on my blog once my D80 comes home!

No comments: